Everlena’s Old Fashioned Banana Pudding – Soul Food Recipe
2/3 cup sugar
3-1/2 tablespoons flour
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2-1/4 cups milk
4 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafers
5 large bananas
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon banana extract
- In a double boiler (or one pot set in another larger pot partially filled with water) combine the first three ingredients.
- Mix milks and egg yolks together in a bowl; add to dry ingredients in double boiler.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened (it should resemble pudding).
- Remove from heat; stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Reserve enough vanilla wafers to arrange around outside edge of dish, about 20 wafers.
- Arrange 1/2 of the remaining vanilla wafers in the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish, about 30 wafers.
- Slice 2-1/2 bananas and layer over wafers.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding over bananas.
- Repeat once more.
- Finish by arranging reserved wafers around the outside edge of dish.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, a little at a time, until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form.
- Fold in 1/2 teaspoon banana extract.
- Spread over pudding (make sure to seal edge of dish with egg whites).
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is gold in color.
Note: Makes 8-10 servings. For those of you who like banana pudding the old fashioned way, with homemade custard, this recipe is for you!!!!