Fried Okra, a Soul Food Classic!
1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large green tomato, diced
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removes and sliced
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Combine okra, tomato, onion, garlic & jalapeno.
- In separate bowl combine eggs, salt, pepper, milk.
- Pour egg mix over vegetable and toss to thoroughly coat.
- Gradually add cornmeal until liquids are all soaked up and the mixture is evenly mixed. Mixture will be a gooey.
- Heat oil in saucepan until very hot.
- Spoon mixture evenly into pan.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and fry till underside golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Invert onto plate, then carefully put back into pan with the un-browned side down.
- Cook uncovered until golden brown.
- Remove from skillet to paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot.
Note: Try with jalapenos.