Pig Ears are a great Soul Food. And here’s a great Smothered Pig Ears recipe.
4 lbs. Pig Ears (about 8 lg. ears)
1 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
3 toes (ie cloves) of garlic
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbs. flour
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. salt (to taste)
- Burn any hair off the pig ears with a lighter.
- Wash the pig ears thoroughly.
- Put the pig ears in enough water to cover them in a 5 quart pot.
- Put on high heat and let them boil for ten (10) minuets.
- After boiling, pour the water off, rinse the pig ears and add just enough water to cover them.
- Return to medium heat and add cayenne, black pepper, granulated garlic and salt.
- In a skillet, heat oil until very hot. Add flour (roux mix) and stir constantly. Cook until a golden caramel color. Add yellow and green onions to roux. Stir until onions are wilted. Add to the pot with pig ears and cover until they reach the boiling point.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let cook covered about 2 hours, until tender.
- Taste gravy half way through cooking time.
- Add more spices and salt if necessary.
- Serve over hot rice.
- Now pat your feet while you enjoy!
Note from recipe contributor: My family enjoy when served with candied yams and sweet peas and corn bread.
Nutritional Note: Pig ears have nearly zero carbs. If you are low carb dieting, the sides you have with pig ears will need to be low carb side dishes of your choice. Or, you could choose to have a little rice, a little bit of candied yams and a little corn bread. With a nice portion of sweet peas. To try and keep your low carb diet. While enjoying this recipe with all the traditional trimmings.