A full recipe, for you to prepare a turkey. Whether for Thanksgiving Dinner, or any occasion.
1 whole 12 pound turkey, thawed.
4 cabbage leaves
1 celery stalk
4 Tbs butter
1/4 cup canola oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop onion and celery into large chunks.
- Put 2 cabbage leaves under one another like a bowl.
- Place onion chunks, celery chunks and butter into the cabbage bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and sage to the cabbage bowl, to taste.
- Place 2 cabbage leaves on top of the cabbage bowl, so it is a ball shape.
- Place the turkey into a clean kitchen sink.
- Unwrap the turkey, remove any leg ties and any innards from the inner breast cavity and the rear. You may place them in the trash, unless you need them for another dish.
- Wash the exterior of the turkey with some liquid hand soap and water. Then rinse the exterior, so there is no more soap.
- Place the canola oil and 2 Tbs of butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat in a microwave until the butter is melted.
- Rub the full exterior of the turkey with the entire canola oil and butter mixture.
- Insert the cabbage ball into the open breast cavity of the turkey.
- Place the turkey in a turkey pan in the oven.
- Cook for about 3 1/2 – 4 hours.
- If the top gets brown early during cooking, cover lightly with foil.
- Ensure internal temperature reached 180 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
Note: Food safety guidelines mention, turkey meat should be removed from the bones within 2 hours after cooking your turkey. Legs and wings can be kept whole.